Major Incident Management
- Separate incident process for critical business disruptions
- Escalated processing with mandate to prioritize and delegate
- High-level overview to support coordination and communication
1 | Automate escalation of Major Incidents based on ex. affected Business Services leveraging the Major Incident Management plugin (New in Kingston)
- First activate the Incident Management - Major Incident Management plugin.
- Then validate Major Incident Properties is set to ‘Promote candidate to a major incident’ as recommended. Meaning, you’re escalating the current incident to the Major Incident Management process.
- Now create your Major Incident Trigger Rule(s) based on your organizations priorities, ex. mission critical Business Services like ‘Email’.
- Then test your trigger rule simply by creating a couple of incident records. Are the incidents proposed as Major Incident Candidates as expected?
- Lastly retrieve and commit Update Set to your production instance.
Now, your Major Incident Managers are notified automatically and consistently, whenever an incoming incident qualify as a Major Incident. This enables the Major Incident Manager to take immediate action and coordinate the necessary activities incl. internal technical communications to organize IT staff and external business communications to inform and update the organization and the users.
Figure 1. Choosing the Email Business Service automatically proposes the incident as a Major Incident Candidate.
Figure 2. See how the Major Incident State is now Proposed on the Major Incident tab that appeared.
Communications are facilitated in auto-generated Incident Alerts accessible to the Major Incident Manager from the related list on the Major Incident form. An alert is created for both business communications as well as technical resolution communications.
Figure 3. These are the Incident Alert Tasks to support the Major Incident Manager in structured and timely communications to the business throughout the process.
2 | Make Major Incident Management actionable with the Major Incident Workbench (New in Kingston)
- Assuming the Incident Management - Major Incident Management plugin is activated, go ahead and activate the Notify plugin as well, unlocking the full potential of the communication capabilities in the Major Incident Workbench.
- Now go to the Major Incident Workbench right from the form of a promoted incident.
- From there, you have the tabs Summary, Communication and Conference – whereas the first gives you the high-level overview and allows you to review and create and manage the related records, ex. creating additional child incidents or creating an Outage in case a Configuration Item is affected causing service disruption.
- The Communication tab helps you communicate service restoration prospects, mitigate business impact and more to the organization in an organized manner, through Business Communication while coordinating and communicating the resolution process with technical staff through the Technical Resolution section.
- The Conference tab allows you to gather organization stakeholders or technical staff in conference calls to quickly organize and update parties. NB: requires a separate subscription with Twilio.
With the Major Incident Workbench, your Major Incidents are managed, communicated and resolved more easily and smoothly by the Major Incident Manager and the technical staff reducing business disruption by minimizing response and resolution times while improving user satisfaction.
Figure 4. Reach out to stakeholders by mail and conference calls to inform about estimates and expectations and coordinate remediation efforts.
3 | Get insights with the Major Incident Overview Dashboard from the Incident Management – Major Incident Management plugin (New in Kingston)
- Assuming the Incident Management - Major Incident Management plugin is activated, go ahead and check out the default Major Incident Overview dashboard.
- This dashboard gives you the aggregated overview of the process as to the volume of proposed, active and resolved Major Incidents. As well as actionable insights on the actuality, progress and priority distribution.
- Review the dashboard and consider if any improvements are needed, if so go to Dashboard Administration.
- Share the dashboard with your teams, perhaps on a big screen display inside your operations center to let everyone stay aware of priorities and progress.
Figure 5. Stay informed and on top of process status any time - with the Overview.
To extend dashboard functionality activate the Performance Analytics – Content Pack for Major Incident Management plugin which gives you the Major Incident Overview – Premium with the additional Process KPI tab leveraging Performance Analytics trending and analysis capabilities. NB: Major Incident Overview – Premium requires a for-fee subscription.
By utilizing the tools provided in the Major Incident Management plugin incl. escalation through proposal procedure, staying on top of process health with the dashboard and organizing technical resolution efforts as well as communications to the organization you are in control well-equipped when a major incident occurs impacting business operations and time gets critical.
Want a dialogue with the author of this article?
Get in touch with Kim.